Undead Sleds / Rat Rods Rule - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Sleepers, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007!

Undead Sleds / Rat Rods Rule - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Sleepers, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007! (http://ratrodsrule.com/forum/index.php)
-   Builds! (http://ratrodsrule.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   1936 Packard (http://ratrodsrule.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28389)

zzrodder 10-22-2013 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Country Misfit (Post 362102)
Hey ZZ,I was just looking at a 35 Nash on you-tube [ 35 Nash Aeroform] is that kind of what the back of your car is going to look like??

That Nash is a pretty cool car! I think mine will not sweep out as much at the bottom, the trunk lid will be flatter - soon as I get the door frames done, I'm going to start on it.

05snopro440 10-23-2013 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zzrodder (Post 362136)
Being a 4dr. body, there was no proper door jamb to mate up to the rear of the door so I had to create one. Took one of the original center posts, split it in half to make one for each side and cut 5 1/2" out of the height to match the new roof height. Then I welded a strip of 1/8" x 3/4" to the edge to create a step for weatherstripping to seat on and tacked in the pass side piece - in the last pic, the drivers side piece is just propped in place.

You sure make that seem effortless!

Undercover Customs 10-23-2013 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 05snopro440 (Post 362174)
You sure make that seem effortless!

That is the truth right there!

zzrodder 10-23-2013 09:19 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Finished tacking in the drivers side door jamb, also tacked in a 1x1" tube to the top of each rocker and put in a couple crossmembers to tie the whole floor structure together better. Eliminating the original wood subrails lowers the floor 1 1/2", gaining back a bit of the headroom lost to the chop and section.
Made the trunk opening frame from 1x1" tube with the topside and half of the inside edge cut out to make a channel to seat the weatherstripping. The skin will be tacked onto the outside edge and the lid will be slightly curved to match the body curve below the window and the curve of the bottom edge tube - this is pretty close to the final position of the opening.

GJunktionMike 10-23-2013 09:45 PM

If you keep raising the bar, none of us are going to be able to keep up.

sgtpontiac 10-23-2013 09:48 PM

Some of you guys blow my mind

You make stuff look so easy....ZZ, GJM....Cornfield, so much talent here, just blows my mind....[cl

RickyBobby 10-24-2013 02:12 PM

Looking great!!

zzrodder 10-24-2013 10:45 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Before I paint myself in a corner by skinning the rear and cutting off access, I cut some more out of the trunk floor and welded in a 1x2" crossmember - the whole original floor will get cut out once I get farther along with the rest of the body structure.
Started with the easy stuff, tacked in the filler piece below the window then made the bottom middle piece - spent some time with the sandbag and mallet, planishing hammer and shrinker to get a nice bubble on it.

Neverdone 10-25-2013 05:58 AM

Do you teach metal classes? I could use some.

cosmic12 10-25-2013 07:28 AM

WOW! great work.[cl Don't understand how you could leave this project at this point, I wouldn't be able to sleep thinking about it. Don't they have beer where you live now?:rolleyes: