Undead Sleds / Rat Rods Rule - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Sleepers, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007!

Undead Sleds / Rat Rods Rule - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Sleepers, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007! (http://ratrodsrule.com/forum/index.php)
-   Builds! (http://ratrodsrule.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   1936 Packard (http://ratrodsrule.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28389)

38fordtruck 10-30-2013 10:25 AM

simply amazing! that's some fine work so far keep it up

05snopro440 10-30-2013 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zzrodder (Post 362942)
Thanks for your support and from all the others too. Hey, things can always change with regard to the trunk corners - I'm considering rounding just the top corners [S - nothing is cast in stone...
For the roof skin I'm going to go to Pick n Pull when I get time to scalp another 90's Lincoln Town Car like I did for the 34 Caddy - it's just about the largest smooth roofed car I've found in 'late model' boneyards. The shape works nicely and I don't feel bad as if I'd taken a scalp from some older car. (I don't like the ribbed van roofs :p)

I agree that the ribbed roof skins don't look right on vintage iron.

Looking at your pics I envisioned just the top corners of the trunk lid curved a bit, and the bottom edge with a curve in it to mimic the rear window a bit. I wasn't trying to criticize, I know whatever you do will look great in the end!

zzrodder 11-01-2013 09:34 PM

5 Attachment(s)
After several days of welding, grinding, hammering and sanding, all those tacked together bits have become one. After studying it for a while, I decided to round the top corners of the trunk opening to pick up on the curve of the window. The bottom corners will stay square to match the bottom corners of the body and the fender peaks which also line up with the body sides.

JBailey 11-01-2013 10:07 PM

Absolutely fantastic!

Country Misfit 11-01-2013 10:14 PM

Looks great.I was working on mine this week.I took the grill +shell off and I noticed the grill can open+close,I never noticed it before.Thats some crazy stuff.I got it sitting in my living room,I show it to my friends when they come over.Keep up the great work..

Sunnybeach 11-01-2013 10:16 PM

Good Job

Looks great. Do you plan to set it up as a roller before migrating south for the winter? If so, we all look forward to your frame/suspension choices.

zzrodder 11-01-2013 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Country Misfit (Post 363397)
Looks great.I was working on mine this week.I took the grill +shell off and I noticed the grill can open+close,I never noticed it before.Thats some crazy stuff.I got it sitting in my living room,I show it to my friends when they come over.Keep up the great work..

My buddy has a 37 Packard convertible coupe (roadster) with that moveable grille option, I always loved that feature.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sunnybeach (Post 363398)
Looks great. Do you plan to set it up as a roller before migrating south for the winter? If so, we all look forward to your frame/suspension choices.

That's the plan, after making the trunk lid, it's onto the frame building, I have the steel for it, it will have 2x6" rails. Waiting for a Heidts MII front end to arrive - for the rear I have 9" Ford unit which I will be narrowing once the new axles come in.

31chevrod 11-01-2013 11:56 PM

hey great job on the cut and fab work!! I will be following along [cl

Todd 11-02-2013 02:10 AM

Looks great. I just had a crazy thought, hinge the trunk lid on the left and open it like a door. No ducking under to get in the boot. :D

Dirtyrat 11-02-2013 06:51 AM

I am always amazed by how quick you work, and the level of craftsmanship.
You always give the rest of us something to shoot for in our builds, and a great deal of inspiration!

I'm happily watching this build, awaiting more progress!

[P[P[P