Undead Sleds / Rat Rods Rule - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Sleepers, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007!

Undead Sleds / Rat Rods Rule - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Sleepers, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007! (http://ratrodsrule.com/forum/index.php)
-   Builds! (http://ratrodsrule.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   1936 Packard (http://ratrodsrule.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28389)

cosmic12 06-05-2014 05:09 AM

4 Attachment(s)
I used to think I was a pretty good body man but after watching your work I am beginning to wonder about that:confused:.
I am perplexed as to how one guy takes a pile of cut up body parts and stitch's them back together and makes it all look so natural without any body work at all I mean it looks perfect as it sits patina and all. I sit here and shake my head in wonder.[cl What am I doing wrong?

soltz 06-05-2014 11:46 AM

What he said [cl[cl

zzrodder 06-05-2014 10:37 PM

4 Attachment(s)
You just have to believe you can do it... and if it don't, keep beating on it 'till works.

With the other door mounted and latched, I started in on mounting the window motor. I used a piece of 1/4" x 2" bar (yellow arrow) as a guide to position the motor assy. along with a couple chunks of felt channel set into the guide rails and ran it up and down to make sure it didn't bind. I was going to extend the rail the the glass sits in out to the felt channels but this new design Autoloc used has rubber lined clamps that hold the glass so I think I'll try it as is, maybe it's better than gluing the glass in. I'll have the glass made as long as possible so it won't be too tippy.
Mounted the inside handle (33-4 Ford) with another Carolina Customs mechanism, still need to sort out a door handle/armrest design and mount it to the door.

Bamamav 06-06-2014 01:53 PM

That looks like the same window unit I used in my Lincoln. I bolted mine to the original lower window channel where the hydraulic unit had mounted. They work great.

jfg455 06-07-2014 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zzrodder (Post 389543)
That's correct. Also important with these hinges is mounting them as close to the outer skin as possible, otherwise the door will pinch against the frame as it opens.

Ahh. It is little tid bits like this that can make or break the experience for a first time builder. I hadn't put that much thought into it either. Thanks for sharing. Back to watching... [P

zzrodder 06-08-2014 09:05 PM

3 Attachment(s)
After what seems like a long time, both doors are done - so many little things and fabbing in each. Chopped and installed the garnish mouldings, made armrests from some chunks of hardwood, (they'll get upholstered later) and installed the door contacts for the wiring.

Country Misfit 06-08-2014 09:09 PM

Looks great! Thanks for showing us how its done.

choppinczech 06-09-2014 07:50 AM

Outstanding work. [dr

I-R-POPS 06-09-2014 08:07 AM

If you ever become homeless and need to relocate let me know.
You can become the CMIC (Chief Modder In charge) at my failing enterprise. The position doesn't pay much but the benefits aren't either. We have fun whenever we want to and we work when we want to.

Great work.

zzrodder 06-09-2014 11:21 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Started on repairing 78 years of wear, tear and rust on the rear fenders. Starting on the passenger side one, replaced the crispy front edge and tacked in the patch for the lower rear edge. Made a small change to the wheelwell shape by pulling back the rear edge by 2" so it doesn't look like the fender is biting the rear of the tire.