Undead Sleds / Rat Rods Rule - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Sleepers, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007!

Undead Sleds / Rat Rods Rule - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Sleepers, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007! (http://ratrodsrule.com/forum/index.php)
-   Builds! (http://ratrodsrule.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   1936 Packard (http://ratrodsrule.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28389)

05snopro440 06-19-2014 10:35 AM

That's awesome!

CORPO 06-19-2014 12:38 PM

it is good to see people achieving really top notch work without tons of tools or amazing shops..

great job on the rolled edge

Dirtyrat 06-19-2014 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zzrodder (Post 391068)
No worries man...
By following the body, I guess you were thinking it could curve in close to the rear pan and curl around the fenders ?[S
To me that would be too much of a 50's shape for a 30's car, I'm going for more of a "is that stock or tweaked ?" look..

Fair enough, I understand the vision now :D

zzrodder 06-20-2014 10:43 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by CORPO (Post 391310)
it is good to see people achieving really top notch work without tons of tools or amazing shops..

great job on the rolled edge

Actually, I had no idea if doing the bend like that would even work ! (Good thing it did, I didn't have any more 16ga. sheet to spare :eek:)

First running board is done, I made the end flanges from 1/8"x2" flatbar - to get a good fit to the fender, I made the flange, bolted it to the fender, then tacked the running board to it from underneath. Same method for the edge that bolts to the rocker panel except I used 1/8"x1" flatbar. Two support braces bolt to the frame and extend out to the edge of the running board.

I-R-POPS 06-20-2014 11:14 PM

Hey ZZ,
How long are your running boards? What a great idea. I'm thinking that would work to make the top edge of a Pickup bed instead of welding a piece of pipe and having to straighten the pipe after the heat draws it. Maybe use
a 3/4" to roll it.

Still watching and learning.

zzrodder 06-20-2014 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by I-R-POPS (Post 391453)
Hey ZZ,
How long are your running boards? What a great idea. I'm thinking that would work to make the top edge of a Pickup bed instead of welding a piece of pipe and having to straighten the pipe after the heat draws it. Maybe use
a 3/4" to roll it.

Betcha that would work for the top roll too, I've done the pipe welded to the top thing for box sides before also, yep, it always warps some. The running boards are 61"long.

Torchie 06-21-2014 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by I-R-POPS (Post 391453)
Hey ZZ,
a 3/4" to roll it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by zzrodder (Post 391461)
Betcha that would work for the top roll too, I've done the pipe welded to the top thing for box sides before also, yep, it always warps some. The running boards are 61"long.

Great minds think alike guys. I was thinking about ZZ's bending method when we were talking about your box sides as well Pops. The trick is going to be to get it to roll over enough to form the circle.
Torchie

zzrodder 06-22-2014 09:20 PM

5 Attachment(s)
First time out in the daylight since December /13. Running boards are done, time to get started on the front end assembly - first thing will be fixing damage and rot on the fenders

Torchie 06-22-2014 10:40 PM

Very, very nice. ZZ[cl
Torchie.

Country Misfit 06-23-2014 06:40 AM

That looks great!! You make it look so easy,but we know its not.