Undead Sleds / Rat Rods Rule - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Sleepers, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007!

Undead Sleds / Rat Rods Rule - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Sleepers, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007! (http://ratrodsrule.com/forum/index.php)
-   Builds! (http://ratrodsrule.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   1936 Packard (http://ratrodsrule.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28389)

cosmic12 07-08-2014 07:50 AM

Are you using a Tig or Mig?:confused:

Old Iron 07-08-2014 08:12 AM

That's just simply great [P [P [P

zzrodder 07-08-2014 09:26 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmic12 (Post 393078)
Are you using a Tig or Mig?:confused:

Mig is all I ever use. (All I have ....)

Finished making the grille surround and got it mounted, started on the grille insert, made a frame from 1/4" ss rod and mounted it to the backside of the surround and got the first few bars welded to it.

Torchie 07-08-2014 11:01 PM

That grill is going to be slick ZZ.
Are you still planning on using the Indian headlights?
[P[P[P
Torchie.

zzrodder 07-08-2014 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Torchie (Post 393140)
That grill is going to be slick ZZ.
Are you still planning on using the Indian headlights?
[P[P[P
Torchie.

Yep, they're next on the to do list.

Torchie 07-08-2014 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zzrodder (Post 393145)
Yep, they're next on the to do list.

Good.
I have been eyeballing a set of those lights for a few years but never had a build that they would look "Right" with. They will be perfect for the Packard.:D
Torchie.

soltz 07-08-2014 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zzrodder (Post 393135)

Finished making the grille surround and got it mounted, started on the grille insert, made a frame from 1/4" ss rod and mounted it to the backside of the surround and got the first few bars welded to it.

Most Excellent [cl

cosmic12 07-09-2014 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zzrodder (Post 393135)

Thanks, just wondering because of S.S. work you have been doing. I have never checked into what is needed for S.S. welding with a mig but have to soon as I need to do a bunch of it myself. I have done it with regular wire but now I need to be able to polish it.[;)

RickyBobby 07-09-2014 09:20 AM

They make stainless wire, I've never used it as I tig weld my stainless, a regular er70 wire weld will rust however. Zz, grill looks great, I should done somthing like yours, instead of aluminum for mine, it came out fine but it's life was on the edge of flying out the door more than few times.

zzrodder 07-09-2014 10:22 PM

7 Attachment(s)
I just use stainless wire with the regular steel mix gas so it does spatter a bit but I've gotten used to it.....
Finished up the grille today, all it needs now is polishing. Posed with the stock insert, the difference is obvious though it still has a recognizable Packard profile. To sum up the mods, it's sectioned 3", widened 2" and center bar removed.

Sizing up the headlight mods - need to reshape the Packard buckets a bit then graft the Indian buckets to them - seems easy enuff :)