Undead Sleds / Rat Rods Rule - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Sleepers, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007!

Undead Sleds / Rat Rods Rule - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Sleepers, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007! (http://ratrodsrule.com/forum/index.php)
-   Tech Tips! (http://ratrodsrule.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Finally back building! (http://ratrodsrule.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38010)

70Newport 11-25-2019 04:48 PM

Finally back building!
 
After being a golf pro all summer and my son being born October 15th I am finally back at building my 47 ford. I have suspension well on its way and motor mounts mocked up. Now I am trying to figure out steering on the cheap.

Aside from vega boxes does anyone have a recommendation for a box and steering column that are easy to come by for cheap? I'm hoping for power steering so my wife will drive it too otherwise I would probably go with a cowel setup.

Thanks in advance,

Gary

05snopro440 11-25-2019 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 70Newport (Post 523759)
After being a golf pro all summer and my son being born October 15th I am finally back at building my 47 ford. I have suspension well on its way and motor mounts mocked up. Now I am trying to figure out steering on the cheap.

Aside from vega boxes does anyone have a recommendation for a box and steering column that are easy to come by for cheap? I'm hoping for power steering so my wife will drive it too otherwise I would probably go with a cowel setup.

Thanks in advance,

Gary

What style of build are you doing, straight axle front, ifs, fenderless?

Dr Crankenstein 11-25-2019 08:03 PM

F1 box and column from the original truck, or one like it. Power steering is a different animal, but you really shouldn't need it on a lightweight hot rod.

Cowl steering is (generally speaking) a bad idea due to poor geometry.

You might get better results if you post the question in your build thread...

.

Bamamav 11-25-2019 11:31 PM

I used a power box off a S10 pickup with some kind of Chevy column in my 47 Lincoln. I think they sell a bracket for a Ford that bolts it right in, I had to fab my own mounting as the Lincoln is a little different.

I havenít driven it yet, but sitting in the carport it steered easily with two fingers.

70Newport 11-26-2019 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 05snopro440 (Post 523770)
What style of build are you doing, straight axle front, ifs, fenderless?

Yes it is a straight axle, and fenderless. Costom frame, 47 ford 1 ton cab. transverse leaf front suspension.

70Newport 11-26-2019 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr Crankenstein (Post 523777)
F1 box and column from the original truck, or one like it. Power steering is a different animal, but you really shouldn't need it on a lightweight hot rod.

Cowl steering is (generally speaking) a bad idea due to poor geometry.

You might get better results if you post the question in your build thread...

.

Thanks Crankenstein, I will add this in to my build thread as well.

I have what I think is a factory manual box but it doesnt seem to want to turn at all. I looked at having it rebuilt but the cheapest I can find to get that done up here in Canada is $489 plus shipping there and back so I will be around $600 plus figure out steering column etc. Seems steep to me.

Odies dad 11-26-2019 07:33 PM

I have a unisteer rack and pinion in my model A and even without power steering, it steers with one finger. Bolts to the Vega box mount.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:41 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Rat Rods Rule Inc.