Undead Sleds / Rat Rods Rule - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Sleepers, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007!

Undead Sleds / Rat Rods Rule - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Sleepers, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007! (http://ratrodsrule.com/forum/index.php)
-   Rat Rod & Hot Rod Talk (http://ratrodsrule.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Hi Kids! (http://ratrodsrule.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38022)

da_bull 12-02-2019 06:09 PM

Hi Kids!

2 Attachment(s)
A couple questions. I am doing a 29 Model A sedan. I am building my own frame from 2x3x3/16" tubing. Doing air bags in all four corners. Rear seems easy, doing a triangulated 4-bar. My question wanders around the front end. Those that have built them. What caster angle do y'all set yours? Is some built into the axle? It's a new axle from SAE-Speed out of California. I ordered some split wishy's from Speedway with a heim joint at the rear. I know the SBC has been played out, but that's what I have. If I can find a Chevy straight six, that's what I would like to have eventually. I have an empty block and trans for mock up, but I need to know if I need to incorporate some caster in there, and how that plays with air springs. Thanks in advance!

lowbudget50 12-02-2019 06:15 PM

Looks like a good score!!!

With my air suspension solid axles I run 7°caster
I have build a hand full now and have had no issues

Make sure its 7° at ride height

da_bull 12-02-2019 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lowbudget50 (Post 524161)
Looks like a good score!!!

With my air suspension solid axles I run 7°caster
I have build a hand full now and have had no issues

Make sure its 7° at ride height

7...noted. And to that, how much will it change when the complete motor is set in there compared to an empty block, and empty trans case? I suspect most of the rear stuff really wont come into play (gas tank behind the rear axle, but rear suspension in front of it). i.e. mock it up at 5 degrees, and then when the complete motor is set in, it'll squash it to 7? Sounds reasonable?

da_bull 12-02-2019 06:33 PM

Just checked out your "Cleopatra" That's snazzy! Your frame is VERY similar to what I had pictured in my pea-brain.

Oh yeah. Any particular angle from the front axle to wishbones as they head back to the frame mount? Min/Max figures?

kenny c 12-02-2019 06:47 PM

Like LB50 says. At ride height. The axle will swing in an arc and with air ride the it can be pressured up for any additional weight.

lowbudget50 12-02-2019 06:50 PM

If you pick 4" as a ride height it wont matter what is attached to the frame. I run the hair pin angle the same as the caster.

lowbudget50 12-02-2019 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by da_bull (Post 524164)
Just checked out your "Cleopatra" That's snazzy! Your frame is VERY similar to what I had pictured in my pea-brain.

Thanks, I really liked that car. Fun to drive

Dr Crankenstein 12-02-2019 07:25 PM

Just to be sure you understand... you need ride height front and rear before setting caster.

da_bull 12-02-2019 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr Crankenstein (Post 524171)
Just to be sure you understand... you need ride height front and rear before setting caster.

Ok, it's sinking in. Like I said this is my first frame build. That's why I am calling out on more experienced wrenches.

lowbudget50 12-02-2019 09:11 PM

Fish plate all your joints. Its easier to do it the first time than to go back after its bent and fix it!!