Undead Sleds / Rat Rods Rule - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Sleepers, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007!

Undead Sleds / Rat Rods Rule - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Sleepers, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007! (http://ratrodsrule.com/forum/index.php)
-   Builds! (http://ratrodsrule.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   1936 Packard (http://ratrodsrule.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28389)

Country Misfit 05-09-2013 12:03 PM

I guess I better quit looking at your build.I was going to change the running gear in mine and leave the body alone,but now????? Oh boy!

zzrodder 05-09-2013 09:54 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmic12 (Post 343638)
Chop looks awsome! Must be a very solid body doing all that cutting without any braceing! If you move the cowel back does it measure up? The reason I ask is when I did that to my 37 Pontiac I had to widen it, but at that time I was planning on useing the stock frame and that was what made it get wider.
Are you building a frame? Really like it without the hump wish I had the nuts to do that to the 37 might have made the difference I was looking for.
Looks great so far, I love it when a go for it plan works out![cl[dr

Bracing ?? I don need no steenkin' bracing !! :D
Took a ton of measurements before any cutting started. I'll assemble the pieces on a dolly beginning with the rear section, welding the shortened rear door pieces in, then put the cowl together, join the rockers then tackle the roof. The Caddy build was a good learning course though rebuilding the rear into a flatback will be an extra wrinkle.
Measure, measure, measure is the rule here, all the way up to doing the doors, there will be tweaking.
Yes, I'll be building a frame, it's just easier than making all the changes I want to do than it is to modify the stocker. That way I can build the frame to fit the modified body and get the ride height I want.

At this point my wife looked out and asked me why I was scrapping this car!! Apparently she doesn't share my vision for the end result.....

jmlcolorado 05-09-2013 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zzrodder (Post 343764)
At this point my wife looked out and asked me why I was scrapping this car!! Apparently she doesn't share my vision for the end result.....

I think you either
A: like the challenge
B: like the feeling of accomplishment from taking a pile of scrap metal into a full blown custom :D

Dr Crankenstein 05-09-2013 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zzrodder (Post 343764)

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmlcolorado (Post 343765)
I think you either
A: like the challenge
B: like the feeling of accomplishment from taking a pile of scrap metal into a full blown custom :D

or C: Mrs. ZZ hopes to park in the garage more than six days a year. :D

zzrodder 05-09-2013 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr Crankenstein (Post 343776)
or C: Mrs. ZZ hopes to park in the garage more than six days a year. :D

A,B, and definitely C.

cosmic12 05-10-2013 06:19 AM

As I shake my head with a huge smile......WOW![cl
You got some big ones, look'n at that pile I would be wondering,,,,WTF have I done:confused:
This is gona be fun[;) Please keep the daily updates comeing.

CORPO 05-10-2013 08:58 AM

U sir are a man of action.. You jump right in... I would still be staring at it planning in my head what to do!

zzrodder 05-13-2013 10:04 PM

4 Attachment(s)
A whole pile o Packard pieces - hard to believe it's a whole body in that pile...
Went to see my buddy on the weekend who has a plethora of Packard parts in his possession. I have parts he wants and he has the pieces I need, including the hood so some mutually beneficial part swapping will be done soon.
For now I must step away from this project to get my golf car built, should only take a couple months.

Country Misfit 05-14-2013 12:00 AM

Congratulations on finding a hood.If you run across a extra plez let me know.Looks like your off to a great start

zzrodder 06-15-2013 10:57 PM

4 Attachment(s)
While working on the golf cart I've been keeping an eye out for an engine for the Packard. Scored one today, a 454 and T400 tranny, both rebuilt with about 3000 miles (so he said...) complete with HEI, headers, polyurethane mounts, etc. I took off the valve covers and it is spotless inside, compression seems very good when turning by hand, seems to be what was represented as. Another piece of the puzzle....:D