Undead Sleds / Rat Rods Rule - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Sleepers, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007!

Undead Sleds / Rat Rods Rule - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Sleepers, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007! (http://ratrodsrule.com/forum/index.php)
-   Builds! (http://ratrodsrule.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   1936 Packard (http://ratrodsrule.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28389)

zzrodder 05-04-2013 09:32 PM

1936 Packard

6 Attachment(s)
After a two month wait, finally landed this 36 Packard 120. Body seems pretty rust free, bit of a dip in the roof since it was holding up the shed that it half fit into for unknown years. I have all the front end sheetmetal except the hood :(. It's actually a Canadian built car, don't know how rare or unrare that makes it.
After a bunch of measuring it will have an appointment with the Sawzall.
Plan is to give it a 2 or 3" chop, Shorten the body in the middle and extend the front doors, weld the rears up and make it a 2dr., much like the 34 Caddy. The humpback must go ! Slice it off and make a smaller flat trunk lid. Possibly will do a 2" section slice to bring the body height down, the grille and hood seem to stand too tall in relation to the fenders.
Well, that's the plan anyways... :rolleyes: this is gonna take awhile, hopefully it comes out looking something like the concept pic.

GJunktionMike 05-04-2013 10:32 PM

Well if anyone can do it, it would be you. you da man.

Undercover Customs 05-04-2013 10:34 PM

Awesome! Looking forward to the cutting [P[P

Flipper_1938 05-05-2013 08:12 AM

Looks like you are having Caddy withdrawal symptoms.

falconvan 05-05-2013 08:28 AM

Nice! Looks really solid.

skull 05-05-2013 11:24 AM

started

[P[P

Later :cool:

cosmic12 05-05-2013 03:39 PM

This will be interesting I am sure, my subscription is in.
Good luck[cl[;)

CORPO 05-05-2013 07:10 PM

cant wait for school to begin... I got my pencil and paper for note taking...

zpi28 05-05-2013 07:51 PM

[P Im ready to watch this one unfold. Should be a treat for us all.

bob w 05-05-2013 08:02 PM

It looks to be in good shape. It certainly needs the zz rodder treatment to be converted from an ugly duckling into a beautiful cruiser.[cl

Really looking forward to this build.

zzrodder 05-05-2013 10:48 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Thanks guys, it is an ugly duckling for sure...
I've seen a number of these done up as street rods, but with 4 doors, they always end up looking like Grandpa's old Packard, kinda too chubby and formal.
My plan is to slice off the ugly and give it new kooler look.
Bolted on the front end parts I have and the running boards so I can get some measurements before the sparks fly. [;)
Couldn't resist taking off the wheels and posing it with the tires for the golf car project. :D
Also took a pic with the headlight pedestals off to lower them, think I will go with that idea too...

Neverdone 05-06-2013 05:22 AM

Oh man she is sweet!!! After watching your caddy take shape I can't wait to see this one!!!

SugarRay8 05-06-2013 10:15 AM

This is going to be bad a$$!
Looking forward to watching. [P

Any ideas on the drive train yet?

Country Misfit 05-06-2013 11:21 AM

Glad to see you found a Packard,ZZ. I will be watching this build for sure.I got a 37 Packard sedan myself,so Im looking for ideas.My car was missing the hood also.Ive seen some hoods for sale,but they cost more than my car.What is your plans for a hood? Also got to say I loved the Caddy.

I-R-POPS 05-06-2013 12:52 PM

Endless possibilities.
What kind of power plant are you planning?

Country Misfit 05-06-2013 01:42 PM

I dont know how to post links,but their is a neat looking flip ft end Packard on youtube.type in [hood electrique packard 1936] That kind of of work is alittle bit past my skills,but I think it looks cool.

ronnysplymouth 05-06-2013 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Country Misfit (Post 343318)
I dont know how to post links,but their is a neat looking flip ft end Packard on youtube.type in [hood electrique packard 1936] That kind of of work is alittle bit past my skills,but I think it looks cool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TC-A8mAZKE

zzrodder 05-06-2013 09:28 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Country Misfit (Post 343299)
Glad to see you found a Packard,ZZ. I will be watching this build for sure.I got a 37 Packard sedan myself,so Im looking for ideas.My car was missing the hood also.Ive seen some hoods for sale,but they cost more than my car.What is your plans for a hood? Also got to say I loved the Caddy.

Thanks ! I haven't looked hard yet but same thing - people wanting lots for a hood! Since I'm going to section the body, the hood sides would need modifying any way, so I'm thinking of making custom fixed sides and fabbing a new one piece top that flips back - [S - maybe...

Quote:

Originally Posted by I-R-POPS (Post 343314)
Endless possibilities.
What kind of power plant are you planning?

That's totally up in the air for now :confused:[;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Country Misfit (Post 343318)

Interesting, but I've never cared for that whole flip front end thing.... Also saw a vid of a 36 Packard air ride, also French dudes, funny thing is it's a 4dr. too.
Deconstruction begins.....

BlueNorther 05-06-2013 11:39 PM

how about stretching the hood to cover 2 inline v8's, and shorten the cab to 2 drs.

deerchooper 05-07-2013 03:16 AM

glad you found something zz .

cant wait for this one.

cosmic12 05-07-2013 06:48 AM

Was there no post between the doors? Don't seem possible but it is a Packard.:confused:

zzrodder 05-07-2013 09:58 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmic12 (Post 343407)
Was there no post between the doors? Don't seem possible but it is a Packard.:confused:

Oh yeah, there was - already popped them out, only a few screws holding them to rotten wood... these Packards still used wood in the roof and subrails under the floor.
Got it all marked for the cutting - settled on a 2 1/2" cop and a 3" section, plus a hump-ectomy... :D

35 PROG 05-07-2013 10:35 PM

time for another clinic

Glad to see you back at it ZZ. A car build and a golf cart at the same time. LOVE IT. Will be watching the "Sawsall Surgon" at work, and taking way better notes than in school. You amaze me how you can visualize the ugly away. And then, have the skills to make it happen.

cosmic12 05-08-2013 10:01 AM

You waste no time, thats for sure! A section also[cl

zzrodder 05-08-2013 09:09 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Time to man up and start cuttin' ! Off comes the top and the humpback. Also took the 3" section out of the cowl and placed it back on for a look-see.

sgtpontiac 05-08-2013 09:12 PM

No junk in that trunk...

You be movin on this one.....wow....[P

jmlcolorado 05-08-2013 09:25 PM

I better jump on the subscribe button before I get so behind I have to read all the pages of work :D
Took me days of studying on the caddy!

You gonna send photos of the finish product to the last owner on this one too? :D

zzrodder 05-08-2013 10:08 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by jmlcolorado (Post 343587)

You gonna send photos of the finish product to the last owner on this one too? :D

I got this one from an estate sale, so the trail is cold on the history of it. Executor had no idea, only that it may have been brought out from Manitoba by the old fella that had it - at this point, all I know is that it was made in Canada and sold in Winnipeg Manitoba.

Took out the 3" section from the rear quarters and cut the rockers to slide the cowl back so I could set the roof roughly in place to get an idea if I'm going in the right direction...
(hmmm, little late to turn back now :rolleyes:)
Front window is 9 1/2" high (legal !) and posts line up pretty good. Some work will be needed in the rear quarter window and the back window corners to smooth the curve at the cuts but it gives a general idea of how it will look. The body will get shortened 5" so I'll cut the roof at its widest point, line up the front and rear posts, then shorten the roof accordingly. Sounds easy enuff :cool:

cosmic12 05-09-2013 05:28 AM

Chop looks awsome! Must be a very solid body doing all that cutting without any braceing! If you move the cowel back does it measure up? The reason I ask is when I did that to my 37 Pontiac I had to widen it, but at that time I was planning on useing the stock frame and that was what made it get wider.
Are you building a frame? Really like it without the hump wish I had the nuts to do that to the 37 might have made the difference I was looking for.
Looks great so far, I love it when a go for it plan works out![cl[dr

05snopro440 05-09-2013 10:35 AM

That's going to look awesome! That Packard has some really cool lines, I hope you can retain most of them in the build!

That independent suspension looks interesting for 1936 tech, definitely not up to todays standards, but it looks way ahead of its time.

Country Misfit 05-09-2013 12:03 PM

I guess I better quit looking at your build.I was going to change the running gear in mine and leave the body alone,but now????? Oh boy!

zzrodder 05-09-2013 09:54 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmic12 (Post 343638)
Chop looks awsome! Must be a very solid body doing all that cutting without any braceing! If you move the cowel back does it measure up? The reason I ask is when I did that to my 37 Pontiac I had to widen it, but at that time I was planning on useing the stock frame and that was what made it get wider.
Are you building a frame? Really like it without the hump wish I had the nuts to do that to the 37 might have made the difference I was looking for.
Looks great so far, I love it when a go for it plan works out![cl[dr

Bracing ?? I don need no steenkin' bracing !! :D
Took a ton of measurements before any cutting started. I'll assemble the pieces on a dolly beginning with the rear section, welding the shortened rear door pieces in, then put the cowl together, join the rockers then tackle the roof. The Caddy build was a good learning course though rebuilding the rear into a flatback will be an extra wrinkle.
Measure, measure, measure is the rule here, all the way up to doing the doors, there will be tweaking.
Yes, I'll be building a frame, it's just easier than making all the changes I want to do than it is to modify the stocker. That way I can build the frame to fit the modified body and get the ride height I want.

At this point my wife looked out and asked me why I was scrapping this car!! Apparently she doesn't share my vision for the end result.....

jmlcolorado 05-09-2013 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zzrodder (Post 343764)
At this point my wife looked out and asked me why I was scrapping this car!! Apparently she doesn't share my vision for the end result.....

I think you either
A: like the challenge
B: like the feeling of accomplishment from taking a pile of scrap metal into a full blown custom :D

Dr Crankenstein 05-09-2013 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zzrodder (Post 343764)

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmlcolorado (Post 343765)
I think you either
A: like the challenge
B: like the feeling of accomplishment from taking a pile of scrap metal into a full blown custom :D

or C: Mrs. ZZ hopes to park in the garage more than six days a year. :D

zzrodder 05-09-2013 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr Crankenstein (Post 343776)
or C: Mrs. ZZ hopes to park in the garage more than six days a year. :D

A,B, and definitely C.

cosmic12 05-10-2013 06:19 AM

As I shake my head with a huge smile......WOW![cl
You got some big ones, look'n at that pile I would be wondering,,,,WTF have I done:confused:
This is gona be fun[;) Please keep the daily updates comeing.

CORPO 05-10-2013 08:58 AM

U sir are a man of action.. You jump right in... I would still be staring at it planning in my head what to do!

zzrodder 05-13-2013 10:04 PM

4 Attachment(s)
A whole pile o Packard pieces - hard to believe it's a whole body in that pile...
Went to see my buddy on the weekend who has a plethora of Packard parts in his possession. I have parts he wants and he has the pieces I need, including the hood so some mutually beneficial part swapping will be done soon.
For now I must step away from this project to get my golf car built, should only take a couple months.

Country Misfit 05-14-2013 12:00 AM

Congratulations on finding a hood.If you run across a extra plez let me know.Looks like your off to a great start

zzrodder 06-15-2013 10:57 PM

4 Attachment(s)
While working on the golf cart I've been keeping an eye out for an engine for the Packard. Scored one today, a 454 and T400 tranny, both rebuilt with about 3000 miles (so he said...) complete with HEI, headers, polyurethane mounts, etc. I took off the valve covers and it is spotless inside, compression seems very good when turning by hand, seems to be what was represented as. Another piece of the puzzle....:D