Undead Sleds / Rat Rods Rule - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Sleepers, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007!

Undead Sleds / Rat Rods Rule - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Sleepers, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007! (http://ratrodsrule.com/forum/index.php)
-   Builds! (http://ratrodsrule.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   1936 Packard (http://ratrodsrule.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28389)

zzrodder 05-30-2014 10:21 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Yeah, that is a tough one having a car burnt like that, though on a high note, Tom Medleys 40 coupe looked about as bad after a garage fire and his buddies went the distance to bring it back, a great tribute to him and his legacy, another founding rodder sorely missed.

As for the hood hinges, I can whittle them out no prob.

Got started with the suicide door hinges today. I bought these last year before I even had the Packard and now found that their 2x3" dimension is too fat for the Packard's skinny door jambs, so I 'sectioned' them 3/4" to fit them in. I also squared them up and tied them together with a piece of 3/4" tube so they will mount squarely with each other so there is no binding when operating.

Bamamav 05-30-2014 10:57 PM

Those hinges on the burnt car look just like the ones on my 47 Lincoln. Look back through my build pics and you'll see them.

zzrodder 06-02-2014 11:26 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Got one door hinged and loosely bolted on, some tweaking to do to make it fit the frame right, things seem to have a habit of moving around after a bunch of welding....
Before welding the hinge pockets to the door, I made and installed the window tracks that will hold the felt window channel - easy to do before all the other structure gets built and gets in the way.

jfg455 06-03-2014 06:26 AM

Funny, I don't see a NITSA safety door crash bar in there....[P

Old Iron 06-03-2014 08:20 AM

I'm sure that the windows are electric. Who's window regulators do you use for these projects? The ones I got seemed to be adequate just a hair flimsy.

I-R-POPS 06-03-2014 08:40 AM

I'm gonna just keep quiet and watch and learn.
I just wish I knew what the heck I am doing sometimes.
Looks great!

Flipper_1938 06-03-2014 02:15 PM

Like the others, I'm interested in how you rebuild the doors with new hinges, window regulators, seals, and glass on an odd-ball application (Packard).

zzrodder 06-03-2014 10:21 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by jfg455 (Post 389413)
Funny, I don't see a NITSA safety door crash bar in there....[P

That would make Big Brother happy, but not too likely...:)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Iron (Post 389422)
I'm sure that the windows are electric. Who's window regulators do you use for these projects? The ones I got seemed to be adequate just a hair flimsy.

Yep, electric. I'm using Autoloc ones as I have before. I'm sure there are better ones but the price is OK and I've had no problems with them. One thing I modify on them (and will show later) is extend the lift rail that the glass is glued into so it reaches into the felt window channel at both ends to stabilize the glass = especially helpful with longer windows.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flipper_1938 (Post 389461)
Like the others, I'm interested in how you rebuild the doors with new hinges, window regulators, seals, and glass on an odd-ball application (Packard).

Me too, I make it up as I go......[S

Got the door latched and handle mounted, using the ubiquitous 32-4 Ford handle. Inside receiver mechanism is from Carolina Customs connecting to the usual bear claw latch. Finally cut off the door mounting tabs that were welded to the body - kept ripping my pants on them. :eek:

choppinczech 06-03-2014 10:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
ZZ, the excess pocket just gets trimmed off at the jamb profile?

Then welded in at the edge?[S

zzrodder 06-03-2014 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by choppinczech (Post 389529)
ZZ, the excess pocket just gets trimmed off at the jamb profile?

Then welded in at the edge?[S

That's correct. Also important with these hinges is mounting them as close to the outer skin as possible, otherwise the door will pinch against the frame as it opens.