Undead Sleds / Rat Rods Rule - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Sleepers, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007!

Undead Sleds / Rat Rods Rule - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Sleepers, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007! (http://ratrodsrule.com/forum/index.php)
-   Builds! (http://ratrodsrule.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   1936 Packard (http://ratrodsrule.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28389)

christcrusader13 06-16-2014 10:50 AM

this thing is sick.... I love it!

05snopro440 06-16-2014 01:17 PM

The slight contour in the bumper and the Packard script really suit the car. You did a great job narrowing it and filling/removing the holes.

You make the rest of us look like hacks. That might be because some of us are though :rolleyes:

zzrodder 06-16-2014 11:41 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dirtyrat (Post 390969)
Ehh at the risk of making you angry, (Hopefully not) I don't think that bumper shape is up to your normal standards... I was sorta thinking you would follow the body shape a bit there, what do you think?

No worries man...
By following the body, I guess you were thinking it could curve in close to the rear pan and curl around the fenders ?[S
To me that would be too much of a 50's shape for a 30's car, I'm going for more of a "is that stock or tweaked ?" look.

Before making the new running boards, I have to fix the crispy lower edge of the body that they bolt to. I sliced it off and made a new piece from 1x1" tube with 5/6" nuts welded in to bolt the board to - the right side one is tacked in place, the left side piece is on the floor. Since the body is shortened 5", the front of the cowl will need to be modified to match the 5" forward front end of the running board.

MercuryMac 06-17-2014 12:00 AM

ZZ, I think you've just labelled another genre of building. "Is that stock or tweaked look" is a way of making sections of a hotrod. I have used this technique quite a few times, but never gave it enough thought.
Thank you for your imagineering both in steel fabricating and wordsmithing.
[Are you a wordsmith, if your Spellcheck underlines quite a few of your words?]

zzrodder 06-17-2014 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MercuryMac (Post 391074)
[Are you a wordsmith, if your Spellcheck underlines quite a few of your words?]

Definitely ! As Henry Ford said, whether you think you can or think you can't, you are right.

zzrodder 06-17-2014 09:17 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I cut and added a pie shaped section to the bottom of the cowl to match up to the new bottom edge piece. A plus of using the 1x1" square tube on the bottom edge is that when the body comes off for finishing, I can set it on the floor without it getting crunched. Once I can flip it over, I'll add some bracing to the backside to stiffen it even more.

zzrodder 06-18-2014 10:15 PM

6 Attachment(s)
Making the running boards from 16ga. steel is tough to bend on my less than fabulous brake, so I scored them on the bend line with a zip disc and got a nice crisp 90 degree edge. To make the rolled bend I tacked the edge to a piece of 2" pipe and made a handle from angle iron, then I set it on the floor, stood on it and pulled it over to make a nice rolled 90 with a sharp 90 for the bottom edge. Cut the tack welds and repeat for the other side.
Come to think of it, this would work to make the first 90 bend using square tube - who needs a press brake ??

choppinczech 06-18-2014 10:18 PM

Great idea! [cl[P

1952B3b23 06-19-2014 06:29 AM

Awesome idea for those bends on the running boards.

Is the top surface of the boards going to be left smooth or you adding some "decoration" ?

-Chris

smallfoot 06-19-2014 06:59 AM

That's some fine metalworking zz!