Undead Sleds / Rat Rods Rule - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Sleepers, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007!

Undead Sleds / Rat Rods Rule - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Sleepers, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007! (http://ratrodsrule.com/forum/index.php)
-   Builds! (http://ratrodsrule.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   1936 Packard (http://ratrodsrule.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28389)

zzrodder 06-25-2014 10:16 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Iron (Post 391909)
I'm glad you're showing all the suspension stuff [cl
I'm thinking of doing an air bag setup on my 48 GMC and have never done one before [P
If you posted the manufacture of the bag system, I missed it so forgive me if this is a rerun of what you already posted. Are you using Ride Tech or who ?

The kit I'm using is from Airbagit.com. I know some people don't think highly of their products, but I've had no problems, this is the second time using their system. Yes, most of the components are "offshore" parts, but what isn't these days? I like the compact valve block it has and it's really hard to beat the pricing.

Rust repair --- I thought the right fender was pretty solid but closer inspection showed a bunch of pinholes, had to replace a 5"x20" section. Left fender is much worse, I got one section tacked in with another larger piece yet to be cut out beside it. This is the result of the good ol' days driving on tar and gravel roads - it got stuck on the inside of the fenders, water got between and the rust worms moved in....
This is where my Eastwood planishing hammer is handy for forming the curved shaped patch panels.

Torchie 06-26-2014 07:24 AM

Beautiful! [cl[cl [P
Torchie.

Old Iron 06-26-2014 07:48 AM

Really nice work ZZ [cl :cool:

05snopro440 06-26-2014 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zzrodder (Post 391995)
The kit I'm using is from Airbagit.com. I know some people don't think highly of their products, but I've had no problems, this is the second time using their system. Yes, most of the components are "offshore" parts, but what isn't these days? I like the compact valve block it has and it's really hard to beat the pricing.

Rust repair --- I thought the right fender was pretty solid but closer inspection showed a bunch of pinholes, had to replace a 5"x20" section. Left fender is much worse, I got one section tacked in with another larger piece yet to be cut out beside it. This is the result of the good ol' days driving on tar and gravel roads - it got stuck on the inside of the fenders, water got between and the rust worms moved in....
This is where my Eastwood planishing hammer is handy for forming the curved shaped patch panels.

Wow, awesome work!

The more I see that body together the more I see it in a Champagne colour or Champagne and Silver colour [dr. It will look good in any colour and I know you're partial to black, just my mind working...

zzrodder 06-27-2014 10:33 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Rust repair to the left fender is done so I bolted the grille shell in and started work on lining things up. Using a string line to center it, blocks to set height, much measuring to be done yet before I can make the center mount in front of the rad right over the steering rack. Major thing to get right is the height of the fenders and grille so the hood slopes down properly, also to get tire clearance when it is at full drop like this. I also need to make the underside fender braces that tie to the rad support, curve over the tires and bolt to the top of the outside fender lip.

smallfoot 06-28-2014 07:01 AM

Nothing like the simple tools to keep things looking right. A string really comes in handy eh? Looking great zz!!!

serrata 06-28-2014 07:50 AM

I'm interested to see what you'll do with flowing the hood into the top of that grill shell.

The grill looks much more angular than the rest of the lines of the car.

I really like the smooth sleek lines with occasional near-sharp edges, like on the fenders.
[P

Country Misfit 06-28-2014 10:01 AM

That is looking great! I"ve been waiting to see how you do the ft.end+hood. I dont think most people realize how big the fenders and grill shell are. Packards are xx-large.Keep up the great work!!

zzrodder 06-28-2014 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by serrata (Post 392190)
I'm interested to see what you'll do with flowing the hood into the top of that grill shell.

The grill looks much more angular than the rest of the lines of the car.

I really like the smooth sleek lines with occasional near-sharp edges, like on the fenders.
[P

Quote:

Originally Posted by Country Misfit (Post 392211)
That is looking great! I"ve been waiting to see how you do the ft.end+hood. I dont think most people realize how big the fenders and grill shell are. Packards are xx-large.Keep up the great work!!

Yes, the grille is big and angular, but that is probably the defining feature of Packards from the late 20's thru the early 40's. If you had a side by side lineup of all makes of 1936 cars, a Packard is immediately recognizable without seeing a nameplate. Also sometimes referred to as having a 'tombstone' shape....

zzrodder 06-30-2014 09:32 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Doesn't look much different but it took a bunch of hours of tweaking, measuring, welding, grinding, and mental strain to get to this stage.
Problem was tire clearance in turns, no way to avoid contact until lifted to slightly above ride height.
First part of the solution was to radius the wheelwells, I used a piece of 3/4" tubing split in half to form the new edge (actually an improvement over the thin old edge that had several repairs due to cracks).
Still not enough clearance :mad:
I split the grille and rad support to widen them 2", thereby moving each fender outboard 1", problem solved. I still have to do a 1/2" pie cut to the top of the grille shell to get the front peak to slope down a bit. Now I can get the rad support mount made and build the underside fender braces. Unless you held up a stock grill to the shell, it's hard to tell it's wider and since I'm going to make a new stainless grille anyway, it's no big deal. Side benefit is that I can now use a rad that is 2" wider.

No work tomorrow, it's Canada Day [cl, off to a car show....


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:19 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Rat Rods Rule Inc.