Undead Sleds / Rat Rods Rule - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Sleepers, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007!

Undead Sleds / Rat Rods Rule - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Sleepers, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007! (http://ratrodsrule.com/forum/index.php)
-   Just Hemis! (http://ratrodsrule.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   Stash (http://ratrodsrule.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36803)

Old Iron 01-07-2018 03:33 PM

Stash
 
1 Attachment(s)
Found a stash of 392 Hemi's in an old dealership building
Soooooo I went and bought two and a buddy bought one [dr[ddd:cool:
And they all turn over (not stuck)
There were a total of eighteen.

http://ratrodsrule.com/forum/attachm...1&d=1515357174

Bamamav 01-07-2018 04:16 PM

OH my!:eek:

DozerII 01-07-2018 04:25 PM

^^^ what he said

earthman 01-07-2018 04:43 PM

Amazing!

Dr Crankenstein 01-07-2018 05:52 PM

Nice find(s)!!!

Wanna go partners on a slingshot dragster? ;)

.

Old Iron 01-07-2018 06:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr Crankenstein (Post 488397)
Nice find(s)!!!

Wanna go partners on a slingshot dragster? ;)

.

Hey DOC, there was one in the building with two 392's in line
Sitting on the other side of this car.

http://ratrodsrule.com/forum/attachm...1&d=1515366687

Dr Crankenstein 01-07-2018 08:41 PM

I'd love to see the dragster, but the Hemi Dart is some consolation.


I'm thinkin' this is the same car, possibly the same location? Listen to the big Hemi snarl. [ddd

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHQK-2xM77k

.

Old Iron 01-07-2018 09:38 PM

Yea, it's a great car.
He fired it up while we were there.
The owner has never driven it or even sat in it till we showed up. They pulled it in the garage and turned it off. The guy standing in the alley is the owner.
The first to comment on YouTube said it looked like a clone but, it's the real deal.

MercuryMac 01-07-2018 11:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm in tears here, OI. When I heal up I'll be able to tell you some things to think about. Is the Hemi with the partial bellhousing, an integral one or a bolt on big truck bell? Anyhow, Chrysler used the same bellhousing bolt pattern for all of their V-8's up until '62, then they changed to the style of bell that the other guys were using. I think the bolt pattern is the same but the centering pins are too far inboard to catch the newer bellhousing. So any bell housing from a 313 or 318 Poly will probably work for you. I have been hording Poly V-8 bellhousings.
PS. If the stress of owning too many Hemis gets to bad I'll give you my address. :D:D:D
The pic is a small truck Hemi bellhousing and a NP A833 behind a baby Hemi. I can't find my Poly bell pictures.

Old Iron 01-07-2018 11:42 PM

Mac, it's not an integral. The numbers stamped on that engine say it's out of a 57 Imperial
It has the same bolt pattern, on the back, as the other engines.
I also got two aluminum adapters to be able to use the newer OD trannies too.
I got a set of adjustable rockers but, they turned out to be for a 426 Hemi :(

MercuryMac 01-08-2018 01:04 PM

I was worried about what you would rig up behind the engines, but you have handled the problem.
Anyhow, not only have you stumbled onto a great find, you had the gumption to buy these engines and get them home to a safe place. Good for you. Lots of people could have a good story about the fish they caught, but it got away; but you have a good story about the fish you caught,---- and brought home.

Toad 01-08-2018 05:08 PM

That's incredible! Luck dog! :eek:

Toad

Old Iron 01-08-2018 06:17 PM

This will make you a little ill.
I went with money in hand to buy eight 392's
When we got there Saturday morning, the owner said he had not visited the building for about six months and some no good son of a swine (not exactly the words) stole 4 of the engines I was going to buy.
That's the only reason they all weren't on the trailer.

Dr Crankenstein 01-08-2018 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Iron (Post 488404)
The first to comment on YouTube said it looked like a clone but, it's the real deal.

[cl :D :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Iron (Post 488428)
This will make you a little ill.
I went with money in hand to buy eight 392's
When we got there Saturday morning, the owner said he had not visited the building for about six months and some no good son of a swine (not exactly the words) stole 4 of the engines I was going to buy.
That's the only reason they all weren't on the trailer.

Hanging's too good for that rotten *******!!! :mad:


What are you doing with the two you have? Can we expect a build of some sort?

.

Old Iron 01-08-2018 07:02 PM

Doc, I was very disappointed to say the least and mad as hell that they were stolen :(:mad:
[dr As far as a build goes, I bought the 37 GMC I built for Peabody and I'm gonna build one of them so I can install it in the 37 :cool:
I will do a build thread [P

Dr Crankenstein 01-08-2018 07:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I'll look forward to the '37 build.



I still have the dragster, btw. ;)

http://ratrodsrule.com/forum/attachm...0&d=1515456873




.

Old Iron 01-08-2018 07:43 PM

Right On one would look killer in that

Torchie 01-12-2018 08:38 PM

Great find OI but a bummer about the stolen ones.:(
It must be hemi season as in searching for an engine for the*boat project one of the guys that I talked to has a 354 Hemi that has been set up for marine use. Would be cool, but again the cost of rebuilding could get expensive.
At least you know the builder of the Peabody 37 did a great job......[dr :D [cl
Torchie

Bamamav 01-12-2018 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr Crankenstein (Post 488433)
I'll look forward to the '37 build.



I still have the dragster, btw. ;)

http://ratrodsrule.com/forum/attachm...0&d=1515456873




.

Dng Dr C, why don't you stick some vintage engine in that thing and have some fun at some of the vintage meets? Could be a mostly stock engine, just something to run and have fun with, like bobw's 6 banger digger.....

Dr Crankenstein 01-13-2018 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bamamav (Post 488662)
Dng Dr C, why don't you stick some vintage engine in that thing and have some fun at some of the vintage meets? Could be a mostly stock engine, just something to run and have fun with, like bobw's 6 banger digger.....

I'm waiting for my 392 Chrysler to arrive. ;)

Seriously, I bought the car on a whim and I've been hopelessly searching for its history since. (No luck, insofar.) Based on the car's construction and wheelbase, I believe it was a top fuel or junior fuel car. I'd like to recreate the original build if I ever find its origins...

That said, I'm getting older by the minute and vintage events are relatively long hauls for me. (Been there, done that with our funnycar ventures.) I'll not be quick to throw the family finances into another race car, yet the fire still burns...

I have a cherry little 283, however. It would make for a cool 2x4 or injected screamer in the old dragster... my wife thinks she'd like to drive and 11's suddenly seem sensible. [S :eek:
.

Old Iron 01-13-2018 10:42 AM

I think I'd have to make a wall art piece out of that rail :)

DozerII 01-13-2018 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr Crankenstein (Post 488670)
I'm waiting for my 392 Chrysler to arrive. ;)

Seriously, I bought the car on a whim and I've been hopelessly searching for its history since. (No luck, insofar.) Based on the car's construction and wheelbase, I believe it was a top fuel or junior fuel car. I'd like to recreate the original build if I ever find its origins...

That said, I'm getting older by the minute and vintage events are relatively long hauls for me. (Been there, done that with our funnycar ventures.) I'll not be quick to throw the family finances into another race car, yet the fire still burns...

I have a cherry little 283, however. It would make for a cool 2x4 or injected screamer in the old dragster... my wife thinks she'd like to drive and 11's suddenly seem sensible. [S :eek:
.

Well if the wife wants to drive that's 60% of the battle. [P[P[P

Burgerman 01-15-2018 01:18 AM

392's
 
Congrats Iron on getting the 392's. Glad the losers did not get all of them. Outstanding find! [cl

[P [dr

Burgerman 06-16-2018 11:55 AM

Been thinking about Hemi's. [S
They are few and far between. Need to stumble on to a 331 or 241. Any news with your stuff Iron
[P

Old Iron 06-17-2018 12:20 AM

Sent the '58 original 2x4 block off to be bored .030 over.
Got all the parts to rebuild it including a new set of Keith Black 10 to 1 hypereutectic pistons.
A friend of mine probably has eight hemi's of the smaller size that he sells every now and then.

joedoh 07-26-2018 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Iron (Post 488404)
Yea, it's a great car.
He fired it up while we were there.
The owner has never driven it or even sat in it till we showed up. They pulled it in the garage and turned it off. The guy standing in the alley is the owner.
The first to comment on YouTube said it looked like a clone but, it's the real deal.

thats a rare dang car![dr

Old Iron 07-26-2018 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Burgerman (Post 496176)
Been thinking about Hemi's. [S
They are few and far between. Need to stumble on to a 331 or 241. Any news with your stuff Iron
[P

I think a friend of mine has both the 331 and a 241 most likely for sale too.

Old Iron 09-08-2018 10:51 AM

Here's everyone, in the Tucson Arizona area, chance to own a 331 Hemi cheap $500 to $750
That is less than the core cost would be.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Early-Chrys...QAAOSw51xbWsj8

Old Iron 11-25-2018 12:34 PM

2 Attachment(s)
A friend of mine found these two 331 Chrysler Fire Power Hemi's at a place next to his shop 6 miles from me.
One came out of a '54 New Yorker 4 bbl 235 hp non extended bell housing.
The other came out of a '55 Imperial 4bbl 250 hp non extended bell housing.
One was in the back yard, very obscured from view, while the other was in the back corner of the basement in the house.
These had been there for many years until I was able to make a deal for them Wednesday last week and I picked them up yesterday.

http://ratrodsrule.com/forum/attachm...1&d=1543167193
http://ratrodsrule.com/forum/attachm...1&d=1543167193

Burgerman 11-25-2018 01:03 PM

Nice score Iron. I'm watching local ads. Some early Desoto stuff has popped up recently. My understanding is the 331 may be the best option for an "affordable" hemi.

Any idea what it might cost to ship a crated hemi across the nation[S

Old Iron 11-25-2018 02:48 PM

No, they weigh around 900# if that helps
There's not a thing wrong with a 331. They're physically the same size and look the same as a 354 and 392

Gastrick 12-18-2018 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Iron (Post 504741)
No, they weigh around 900# if that helps
There's not a thing wrong with a 331. They're physically the same size and look the same as a 354 and 392

Except the 392 has a slightly taller deck height. Not really visually noticeable

Old Iron 12-18-2018 11:03 PM

Hi Gastrick,
Yep the the deck height is larger on the 392

Gastrick 12-19-2018 12:40 AM

Hi old iron, my hands are just now recovering to the point where I can use them to construct a message

Old Iron 12-19-2018 06:23 AM

Hey Bud, recovery can take awhile sometimes.

wayfarer 03-13-2019 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Burgerman (Post 504738)
Nice score Iron. I'm watching local ads. Some early Desoto stuff has popped up recently. My understanding is the 331 may be the best option for an "affordable" hemi.

Any idea what it might cost to ship a crated hemi across the nation[S

We recently shipped a fresh 270 Dodge from Central Oregon to the Detroit MI area for a grand total of $250 through Fastenal. If you call the corporate number ask for someone in 3PL (third party logistics).

.

Old Iron 03-13-2019 10:38 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Bought a couple Chrysler Fire Power 331 Hemis, from a fellow awhile back. Both are car engines.
One's a '55 and the other is a '56 and they both have the short bell housing flanges.
Would make some one a good engine :rolleyes:
Both will need rebuilt.

http://ratrodsrule.com/forum/attachm...1&d=1552534240
http://ratrodsrule.com/forum/attachm...1&d=1552534240
http://ratrodsrule.com/forum/attachm...1&d=1552534240


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:32 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Rat Rods Rule Inc.