Undead Sleds / Rat Rods Rule - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Sleepers, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007!

Go Back   Undead Sleds / Rat Rods Rule - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Sleepers, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007! > Tech Tips!

Tech Tips! Share your kool tech tip.

Old 07-22-2020, 05:43 AM

As a regular at Chevs of 40's as well as Eckler and National Chevy, I sometimes look at the alternatives for having wipers, which I don't. So the links are interesting.

My vacs are shot, the cables under the dash are dangling, car looks better without wipers imho...and no inspections in Fla. I try to avoid rain in my car meet up travels.

But this is the time of year in Florida when sudden storms pop up out of nowhere, are small, move fast, and I discovered for the most part the RainX works. Some of these storms are torrential with hail. The under the overpass trick is my emergency alternative. Hang out with the bikers.
Old 07-22-2020, 06:34 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

I used the rear window wiper from a Montana van for my Thriftmaster. I too just couldn't bring myself to spend the $$$ on an aftermarket one. It took some screwing around to get the length and positioning of the activation arm right, but now I have pulse and one speed - a buddy gave me the motor, but even at pic n save it would only have been a total investment of $15. The biggest problem is that they have to move in opposite directions, similar to the Packard I think?
Old 07-22-2020, 01:17 PM
Rocket Surgeon

Here's a fleeting thought... marine salvage.

When I worked for Interior Fiberglass/Malibu, quality was job 1 and therefore, quality components throughout. Malibu's mighty 2300 had two self contained wipers, probably worth $500 each today, but if you could find them used... ???

Attached Images
File Type: jpg malibu 2300 25ft.jpg (110.8 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg malibu 2300 9.5 beam.jpg (90.4 KB, 7 views)

1937 Chevy Coupe
1938 Chevy Sedan

Photo Posting and Resizing
Old 07-22-2020, 08:26 PM
It ain't grey hair, it's chrome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Iron View Post
What about a VW Beetle wipers? $186.99 new
https://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails...13%2D989%2D955

That is an interesting one, I'll look into it - thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarat View Post
As a regular at Chevs of 40's as well as Eckler and National Chevy, I sometimes look at the alternatives for having wipers, which I don't. So the links are interesting.

My vacs are shot, the cables under the dash are dangling, car looks better without wipers imho...and no inspections in Fla. I try to avoid rain in my car meet up travels.

But this is the time of year in Florida when sudden storms pop up out of nowhere, are small, move fast, and I discovered for the most part the RainX works. Some of these storms are torrential with hail. The under the overpass trick is my emergency alternative. Hang out with the bikers.
This car will need a safety inspection before licencing so it's gotta have em' - RainX won't get a pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillM View Post
I used the rear window wiper from a Montana van for my Thriftmaster. I too just couldn't bring myself to spend the $$$ on an aftermarket one. It took some screwing around to get the length and positioning of the activation arm right, but now I have pulse and one speed - a buddy gave me the motor, but even at pic n save it would only have been a total investment of $15. The biggest problem is that they have to move in opposite directions, similar to the Packard I think?
Well, they don't have to go opposite directions but it would look more traditional if they did...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Crankenstein View Post
Here's a fleeting thought... marine salvage.

When I worked for Interior Fiberglass/Malibu, quality was job 1 and therefore, quality components throughout. Malibu's mighty 2300 had two self contained wipers, probably worth $500 each today, but if you could find them used... ???

I did see a boat motor drive on ebay or somewhere, neat piece, waterproof and all but it was pricey, as usual... A buddy of mine once said of his boat - "it's a hole in the water that you throw money into.."

Last edited by zzrodder; 07-22-2020 at 08:58 PM.
Old 07-22-2020, 10:39 PM
Rocket Surgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzrodder View Post
I did see a boat motor drive on ebay or somewhere, neat piece, waterproof and all but it was pricey, as usual... A buddy of mine once said of his boat - "it's a hole in the water that you throw money into.."
In your neck of the woods, I've seen plenty of derelict vessels and I'd "think" you could score a couple wiper units on the cheap. (???)

I agree with your buddy. I've sunk a few dollars into a few boats myself.

The VW link OI provided: I had a look and I see they're BC based importers, which means Hongcouver, Langley, Surrey. (That's a good thing for your bottom line cost!) I also see the post to post width is 15.75" and the assembly requires some cowl depth. I'd be happy to know it fits your Packard and you also have the advantage of a flat windshield. (We don't, so the VW piece will not work for us, period.)

1937 Chevy Coupe
1938 Chevy Sedan

Photo Posting and Resizing
Old 07-22-2020, 11:14 PM
It ain't grey hair, it's chrome!

Thanks Doc. Of course it's out of stock.... same one is on Fleabay for about $400 CAN delivered . It would still need to be widened about 5" and the motor hangs down quite a bit...