Undead Sleds / Rat Rods Rule - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Sleepers, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007!

Go Back   Undead Sleds / Rat Rods Rule - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Sleepers, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007! > Builds!

Builds! Post your project here... show us what you're up to! Please Note: This section is for "Builds" ONLY!

Old 01-20-2017, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Iron View Post
Nothing wrong with that price.
Is there a name on the axle?
No, but it has their flying V logo that very much resembles the Bell logo. I guess Vintage Parts is also part of the Hoffman group. All of the other parts are labelled Helix Suspension.
Old 01-20-2017, 10:48 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldphart View Post
While shopping for disc brake spindles and brakes for my Model A axle I found and I bought one of these too. I received four boxes with no packing list. Eventually I figured out that some parts were missing. After some back and forth with them I was told the fifth box was on back order and would be here on the 9th. I'm missing the steering U-joint, steering box mounting bracket, steering arms, and kingpins. Later they said they didn't have a firm date when they would have my parts and since they needed to close the Ebay resolution case offered a partial refund. After some negotiation they refunded $140.

I bought the kingpins for $40 from Speedway and since I plan to use cowl steering I will need to make the steering arms and I don't need the rest.

BTW, I was reluctant to use the Chinese bearings that came with it but the bearing numbers directly cross over to National or Timken. I bought Timken Set 2 and Set 17.

I'm really happy with what I have and really really happy with the final cost. Hope your experience goes as well.
Definitely hoping I don't have that same experience ... especially since I have it shipped to the border and then drive down to pick it up. Really be a major pain to have to run back and forth. If I have problems I hope I can get advise from you on how to deal with them. Thanks for the heads up .. I'll be checking it carefully when I pick it up now.
Old 01-20-2017, 02:36 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Helix and Johnny law are both Hoffman group names, no way I would trust anything they sell in a safety situation, and a axle is for sure a safety item. Google Hoffman Group, threads everywhere on their dangerous junk. Big thread on the HAMB. They might be fine for dress up stuff, but I wouldn't trust my life on any of their Chinese junk.....
Old 01-20-2017, 09:46 PM

When you have to call them just ask for Ben, he will help you out. go ahead and ask me how I know to deal with Ben, he was the only one there that I could find that would help.
Old 01-20-2017, 10:12 PM
Still crazy after all these years!

I always liked Volksrods. Looking forward to following along with your build.
Old 01-21-2017, 09:50 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Just came across this picture today ... to cool for words. But I'm pretty sure that "she who must not be named" would never let me get away with it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 16114075_1529851767032644_8357819578872533004_n.jpg (79.9 KB, 51 views)
Old 01-26-2017, 09:26 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc5080 View Post
These are kind of what I had in mind originally. Push the body back a little bit, shorten the bed a little bit and there it is. Maybe delete the hood and put a tractor grill on it. Glad I'm going to take some time to decide before I take out the sawsall. It's like a Chinese menu .. so many good ideas! Thanks for the input.
I vote that style too!

You needed another project like I did, but I can't wait to see it transform!

How's the new job?

My '46 GMC on Photobucket
---------------------------------------------------------------
When you don't know what you're doing, it's best to do it quickly.

And when Iím gone, you can call me foolish but hopefully not boring. I will have lived.

The more I learn about women, the more I like my car.
Old 01-26-2017, 10:21 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05snopro440 View Post
I vote that style too!

You needed another project like I did, but I can't wait to see it transform!

How's the new job?
You're right about another project .. just can't help myself though. And there will be more ideas after this one is done to.

Unfortunately the "new" job ended ... the boss decided it was better for him to let me go than to give me sick leave to get my knee fixed. (We pause this program for a 10 second burst of profanity!) And this after he encouraged me to have the operation sooner rather than later .. like before I got on the company benefit plan .. because things would be slow in the shop. Waited until 3:30 the day before I went for the operation. So, although I'm rather angry about how I was treated I'm coming to the conclusion its all for the best. Don't want to work for a SOB like that anyway.

And how are things going on your planet? Hope all is well.
Old 01-27-2017, 02:17 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc5080 View Post
You're right about another project .. just can't help myself though. And there will be more ideas after this one is done to.

Unfortunately the "new" job ended ... the boss decided it was better for him to let me go than to give me sick leave to get my knee fixed. (We pause this program for a 10 second burst of profanity!) And this after he encouraged me to have the operation sooner rather than later .. like before I got on the company benefit plan .. because things would be slow in the shop. Waited until 3:30 the day before I went for the operation. So, although I'm rather angry about how I was treated I'm coming to the conclusion its all for the best. Don't want to work for a SOB like that anyway.

And how are things going on your planet? Hope all is well.
Good attitude, SC. His loss, as they say. Get well.

The thing about a '39 Ford pick-up is that that ugly grille kinda' grows on ya' after a while.

Not taking anything too seriously.
Old 01-28-2017, 08:00 AM
The Hot Rod Cop

F that guy SC! Better you learn the color of his character now rather than down the road after you have invested your time and talents in his business...Good luck with the knee

"people riding so many scooters on the country mountain roads it looks like Thailand." Yodaforce

"all the ones I find around here are as solid as tin foil....." Neverdone

Giffins Performance custom CNC plasma cutting, home of the LSX swaps!

Turbo Datsun Build

52 COE Ramp Truck Build

1950 GMC Build