Undead Sleds / Rat Rods Rule - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Sleepers, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007!

Go Back   Undead Sleds / Rat Rods Rule - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Sleepers, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007! > Engine Q&A!

Engine Q&A! The spot for engine talk, Q&A & tall tales!

Old 02-11-2020, 11:49 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Sorry to be so late to the party.
You received good advise.
If the valve seals are the old style o-ring then, you need to install the bonnet style on both intake and exhaust valves.
The pcv in the valley pan was barely adequate for street use. At higher rpm it would pick up oil which would not create any smoke but, eat oil. Check to make sure it rattles and isn't stuck open.
Worn oil rings will cause it to smoke bad. Yes unhook it the pvc then drive it the 30 miles and check oil again.
Pontiac engines are low rpm torque monsters, 5,500 to 6,000
Good water pumps are a must. 160 to 180 stat is all that's needed (I prefer the 180)
I had a bolt go through a brand new pump and like to of never found the overheating problem on one.
You're lucky to have the Harlan Sharp adjustable rockers.
I'm a straight 30w Valvoline non-synthetic guy in a Poncho
If you are really burning a quart every 20 to 40 miles then it'd be smoking like a mosquito fogger.
Check the oil before starting the engine up cold. Drive it a couple miles then check it again. This will tell you if the oil is draining back to the pan or sitting in the top of the heads.
All of what we are suggesting is just that. We don't know if the cylinders were deglazed before rebuild or anything else about it.

Last edited by Old Iron; 02-12-2020 at 12:08 AM.
Old 02-12-2020, 05:33 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Iron View Post
Sorry to be so late to the party.
You received good advise.
When I adjusted the noisy lifter I checked the flow of oil for a few seconds at idle, not a mess because the heads are a little deeper, flow back is good. It all seems clean. I may compromise and go back to a 180 stat, waiting on shroud to see what happens.

Today I am going to pull the cover on the driver side and dial back a lifter or possibly two. Also going to reroute the PCV

What bothers me a little is that daughter's BF had this car since high school, (2010) which included a lot of showing offs and burnouts, all while as he said, it was running on the hot side. Plus now possible oil consumption??

Anyway, his dad was not very happy to see it go, but although he was tinkering, he was surprised to hear it was up and running within a week, and appreciates it is in good hands. All he asked was that he get to drive it.

So! this weekend is the monthly Strawberry cruise, just found out he and wife will be joining me, I will be bringing both of my cars, he can drive that one back to the house
Old 02-12-2020, 10:53 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Hydraulic lifters set at 1/2 to 3/4 turn on these engines. (hot or cold)
Pinch the rocker tip over the valve, loosen the poly lock until you can make the rocker click then tighten until it just stops clicking then 1/2 to 3/4 turn tighter is the correct setting.
Old 02-12-2020, 05:12 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Iron View Post
Hydraulic lifters set at 1/2 to 3/4 turn on these engines. (hot or cold)
Pinch the rocker tip over the valve, loosen the poly lock until you can make the rocker click then tighten until it just stops clicking then 1/2 to 3/4 turn tighter is the correct setting.
Got it and will do.

Spent most of today after the very easy PCV reroute trying to find the correct grommet/plug for the valley, the one that was in there was melted butter. Discovered a package with both a standard valve cover breather grommet and a plug, fit perfect, one of each in the Help! department at Advance auto.

Will see how this all goes, shroud should be here tomorrow, Thanx to all